Nordmende was founded by Otto Hermann Mende in Dresden 1923 as Radio H. Mende & Co. After WW2 Ottos son Martin Mende moved to West Germany and 1945 he started up production in Bremen, Focke-Wulf former factory halls. The company name was Norddeutsche Mende-Rundfunk GmbH. The name was subsequently changed to Nordmende. Martins sons sold the Mendes company in 1977 to the French Thomson Group. In the 1980s, production was down in Bremen and today Nordmende is only a trademark used by Thomson. (So for example Nordmende 0.116 H is really a Thomson MRK470T).